The Today Show had this segment on surviving the winter this morning. In it they featured one pot meals to warm your heart and keep your belly full. I'm thinking of pulling a Katy Elliot and trying this number below. I say this because Katy is liable to whip a gorgeous looking treat at moment of the day. I love her.
Shrimp and scallop pan roast
• 1 tsp. olive oil
• 2 strips bacon, minced
• 2 small cloves garlic, peeled, minced
• 2 small fresh shallots, peeled, minced
• 1 tbls. vermouth
• 3/4 cup light fish or chicken stock OR water is OK
• 1 medium potato, washed, diced fine (skin on best!)
• 8 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
• 8 medium sea scallops
• 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
• 2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
• 1 tsp good brandy
• 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
• 1 tsp rough-chopped tarragon
• 2 tsps rough-chopped flat parsley
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 4 1-inch-thick baguette croutons (toasted crisp)
In a medium saucepan heat oil and bacon on medium heat.
Add shallots and garlic, sweat without color until translucent.
Add vermouth, stock and potatoes; bring to a simmer. Cook 3 minutes until potato is tender.
Add shellfish and half-and-half; keep at gentle simmer for 2-3 minutes until shellfish is just cooked. Add cream, Worcestershire and Tabasco, bring to boil, then simmer 1 minute.
Remove from fire; add brandy, lemon, herbs and season. In a soup bowl place crouton on bottom, ladle shellfish and sauce equally over the bread, serve.
search for more recipes in TODAY's Cooking School
PS. This is not my kitchen.