Sunday, November 29, 2009
If you can remember this is my kitchen after our renovation was completed. It started as this. I loved just about everything. Except my windows seen above. If I had a gorgeous garden view and five thousand more dollars in the renovation budget, I totally would have these windows below:
But here in the Historic Hill Section of Scranton, houses are practically right next to you and I really didn't want that view. So we went for a very basic window without a lot of charm. I thought as an affordable solution I would fake a better window one day with a high mounted shade. As a decorator I get to do fabulous roman shades that operate and really dress up windows for clients. But for myself, I knew I would never move them and didn't want the added expense to make them operational. I was inspired by Fly Through Our Window blogger Darby's fixed roman shade project for her house. She basically did it WITHOUT sewing and glue (which is pretty amazing), but I turned over mine to my talented sewer Tiffany to get the job done. I picked up some basic cotton duck in a very chic grey and some white twill tape to inset the trim. And voila! A larger looking, dressed window that makes the kitchen look that much better. Hooray!