House and Life

House and Life

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Kitchen Romans


If you can remember this is my kitchen after our renovation was completed. It started as this. I loved just about everything. Except my windows seen above. If I had a gorgeous garden view and five thousand more dollars in the renovation budget, I totally would have these windows below:








But here in the Historic Hill Section of Scranton, houses are practically right next to you and I really didn't want that view. So we went for a very basic window without a lot of charm. I thought as an affordable solution I would fake a better window one day with a high mounted shade. As a decorator I get to do fabulous roman shades that operate and really dress up windows for clients. But for myself, I knew I would never move them and didn't want the added expense to make them operational. I was inspired by Fly Through Our Window blogger Darby's fixed roman shade project for her house. She basically did it WITHOUT sewing and glue (which is pretty amazing), but I turned over mine to my talented sewer Tiffany to get the job done. I picked up some basic cotton duck in a very chic grey and some white twill tape to inset the trim. And voila! A larger looking, dressed window that makes the kitchen look that much better. Hooray!

6 comments:

alison giese Interiors said...

Fantastic!! Your kitchen is GORGE!!!

Darby said...

Love them and LOVE your kitchen remodel!! It is so beautiful!!!

Alison Duffy said...

Wow two of my favorite ladies love my kitchen, I'm THRILLED!!!

Lylah Ledner said...

fantastic!

bluehydrangea said...

May I have your kitchen..please? Maybe for Christmas? and those roman shades look fabulous!!

Alison Duffy said...

BH, you are so sweet!! That makes me feel like I did a good job!